Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Planning outdoor paver patio with Spa

Planning outdoor paver patio with Spa

New postby Dave F on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:03 am

Hello, Thanks for your answers to questions I've had on other projects. I'm now planning to put in a paver patio, which will include a Hot tub (which I own already, was in use for 10 years, installed by me without permit, then removed and stored due to having kids). Besides the hot tub, the patio will include a "built in" LP grill and side burner and small amount of countertop, a fire pit, and a small deck/landing for getting from the slider on the house down to the patio. It will also be partially surrounded by a privacy fence. I'm not sure how much of this project falls under IRC code, but I know the installation of the hot tub does. The hot tub itself is self contained water wise, but will require a 220V power supply. When I had it in service it was connected using a 50 amp GFCI breaker at the panel, and 8/3 copper wire with a run of about 30 feet from the panel. I also had a disconnect on the wall next to the tub itself. The previous install was indoors, this will be outdoors. I will need to drill through a cinder block foundation to run the power out to the tub. I'm just curious what they will want in regards to the power supply circuit and the tub itself.

Thanks,

Dave Fenoff
Dave F

Re: Planning outdoor paver patio with Spa

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

My apologies for the delay in replying - my wife unexpectedly had to undergo major open heart surgery and I am just now catching up on things.

Dave F wrote:Besides the hot tub, the patio will include a "built in" LP grill and side burner and small amount of countertop, a fire pit, and a small deck/landing for getting from the slider on the house down to the patio. It will also be partially surrounded by a privacy fence. I'm not sure how much of this project falls under IRC code, but I know the installation of the hot tub does.

Basically everything you mentioned is covered by the IRC.

The hot tub itself is self contained water wise, but will require a 220V power supply. When I had it in service it was connected using a 50 amp GFCI breaker at the panel, and 8/3 copper wire with a run of about 30 feet from the panel. I also had a disconnect on the wall next to the tub itself. The previous install was indoors, this will be outdoors. I will need to drill through a cinder block foundation to run the power out to the tub. I'm just curious what they will want in regards to the power supply circuit and the tub itself.

I don't have all my codes with me where I currently am, and there are many requirements which will be needed, such as GFCI protection of the circuit, a disconnect near the spa/hot tub, restrictions on what is allowed within 5 feet horizontally of the water and within 12 feet vertically above the water overflow level, bonding, etc.

The best thing for that project is to contact your local building department and find out what their requirements are as they may have amended the requirements in the IRC and the NEC, having made those requirements less restrictive or more restrictive than stated in the codes.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Pools and Spas: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, child safety protection, entrapment protection