Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Damp Area Junction Box

Damp Area Junction Box

New postby Jimmy_B on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi Jerry,

I'm working on changing a light fixture attached to the ceiling of our front porch. The existing fixture has a drop down glass cover and is not attached to a junction box. It is mounted directly to one of the support boards that frame out the porch. I am able to get to the fixture from above via the attic and noticed that the fixture has about a two foot length of metal conduit coming directly out of it and running to a juntion box that then changes to romex and on the the switch box down below.

My question is what type of juntion box do I need to install to this damp area so that I can hang a new outdoor fixture? Can I use blue PVC or a regular metal ceiling box in this area? Also, can I run romex directly to this new box?

Thank you,
Jimmy B.
Jimmy_B

Re: Damp Area Junction Box

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Jimmy,

Jimmy_B wrote:My question is what type of juntion box do I need to install to this damp area so that I can hang a new outdoor fixture?

No to the above being a damp location and, yes, you can use ...

Can I use blue PVC or a regular metal ceiling box in this area?

... either of those.

Also, can I run romex directly to this new box?

Yes, provided the box is designed and listed for NM cable (has proper cable clamps) or a box with knock-outs for conduit where you can install a cable clamp into a knock-out and the NM can go in through the clamp.

The attic is not a damp location, the space under the outdoor ceiling area of the porch will either be a damp location or a wet location, with the area up at the ceiling typically being a damp location - so make sure that the fixture you purchase is damp location listed (will have a sticker or label stating "Damp Location Rated" or similar).

The fixture should be ... is required to be ... attached directly to the fixture box and not to the attic framing or the ceiling framing, and if the ceiling is combustible (such as wood) then the face of the box is required to extend to, or project beyond, the surface of the combustible material - the face of the box is not allowed to be recessed any amount at all behind the surface.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Damp Area Junction Box

New postby Jimmy_B on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

Jerry,

Thank you. You are the best at what you do. You always answer a question in detail and your promptness is amazing.

Thanks again,
Jimmy
Jimmy_B

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.