Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Egress

Egress

New postby steven on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello i have a question reguarding egress,what does this mean pertaining to windows and does egress go with any thing else besides windows, this is a california compliance issue.For residence building's.
tks steven
steven

Re: Egress

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Steven,

Egress is simply the addressing 'getting out' of a building. Egress would be the primary means used to get out of a building, say a dwelling unit, and that is typically (but is not required to be) the front entrance door. With regard to the 'front entrance' door, that is addressing 'getting into a building, the code addresses 'betting back out', thus the code addresses "egress" instead of "ingress".

With regard to "egress" windows that refers to "emergency escape and rescue openings" (i.e., EERO), with the "openings" being primarily "windows", however doors may also serve as that secondary means of egress. All sleeping rooms are required to have a secondary means of egress which at least meets the requirements of EERO.

If you need the specific requirements for California EERO, I will contact my California code person.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Egress

New postby Jerry McCarthy - California Codeman on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Steven

Jerry Peck covered this subject quite well and all I can add is some definitions; Egress – Dictionary Definition, the act or an instance of going, esp. from an enclosed place; A means or place of going out; an exit.
California Residential Code 2010 – Definition: Emergency Escape & Rescue Opening, An operable exterior window, door or similar device that provides for means of escape and access for rescue in the event of an emergency.
It should be noted that emergency egress openings are vital not only for the escape of occupants during an emergency, but also the entry of rescue people such as firemen, police and/or medics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry McCarthy - California Codeman

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)