Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Open shower with no threshold

Open shower with no threshold

New postby bolintb on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:03 pm

A shower without any sort of threshold. It is not "A.D.A.' because it has a step up (about 2 inches, I assume this is a platform built over the shower pan). It was an attempt at an "open shower" design, but I have concerns as it is so small to not have a threshold (it is about 36x36).

Does it violate any codes to be so small, not accessible, and no threshold?

I checked the international plumbing code (section 417) and it made not mention of the threshold.

Thanks Jerry.

If I understand what you are saying is that since the shower looks like the attached. The strainer would need to be 2 inches lower than the edge above the floor (labeled A in diagram). Also, what is the reference on that. I realize that the Tile Council Handbook states "1/4 inch slope for every foot of distance to furthest wall from drain", but I have not read anything about "a minimum 2 inch drop". Thanks for anything you have to say, I truly appreciate it.

_
SHOWER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bolintb

Re: Open shower with no threshold

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:09 pm

The minimum size of a shower is 30" by 30", making the 36" by 36" shower meet the required minimum size.

The top of the curb/threshold/or the floor would need to be at least 2" above the top of the drain, and if the shower floor is recessed then a curb or threshold is not required.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping