Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Fastener spacing

Fastener spacing

New postby bigdog on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Jerry

I can't find a spacing requirement for staples or nails attaching metal lath to solid sheathing. I have excerpts from ASTM C1063-08 but it appears to only specify spacing for "On center along the framing member" and I see nothing for solid sheathing.

David McCabe
bigdog

Re: Fastener spacing

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 pm

bigdog wrote: ... ASTM C1063-08 but it appears to only specify spacing for "On center along the framing member" and I see nothing for solid sheathing.

David,

That's because the metal lath should be attached to the framing, only, and the more staples, the less space behind the metal lath for the stucco to be scratched into and key behind.

Nailing/stapling every 7 inches throughout the sheathing area would be way too many staples and very little furred out area to get stucco behind the metal lath - another requirement you will find in that standard is that the metal lath be fully embedded in the stucco ... otherwise the metal lath will rust out.

The nail spacing is under revision, but the above regarding too many nails will still hold true.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Sounds reasonable Jerry but...............please tell me how anyone....after 2 layers of paper / WRB can locate the framing behind all of that. I guess you guess. Thanks for the answer.

David McCabe
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:43 pm

The same way siding is nailed to studs, the same way base / chair rail / cove is nailed to studs.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Exterior Clading: brick veneer; stucco; siding - vinyl, wood, cementitious (such as HardiePlank), hardboard (such as Masonite siding); EIFS