Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Propane tank inside kitchen cabinet

Propane tank inside kitchen cabinet

New postby bigdog on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi Jerry

I came across a guy who for some reason was running his gas kitchen range from a propane tank sitting inside the cabinet next to it. I can't imagine it acceptable for several reasons but again I couldn't find any direct prohibition against it in the fuel gas code. Now it also references the NFPA 1 and another that I don't have. Can you direct me to something that might / does apply?

Thanks
David
bigdog

Re: Propane tank inside kitchen cabinet

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 pm

The drawing is from NFPA 58, as I recall. Those smaller tanks are of the type shown as "Cylinders not filled on site at point of use". There are different allowances for the non-refillable small tanks, the ones used for handheld propane torches and the like, as those can be used indoors and stored indoors - up to a maximum quantity of pounds (which I do not recall) in one location indoors - the tank you described is (as I envision it) one of the 20, 30, and 40 pound tanks used for BBQs.

Gas Installation Drawing - Aboveground smaller tanks.jpg

I added the code text sections to the drawing a number of years ago when I came across the drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am

Jerry the drawing really doesn't address the situation I saw. So the fuel gas code doesn't address it so I assume by default I would have to obtain the NFPA docs it references? to find out what is allowed and what isn't?

David
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm

bigdog wrote:Jerry the drawing really doesn't address the situation I saw. So the fuel gas code doesn't address it ...

David,

You addressed a propane tank inside, I suspect the tank was larger than one of those hand-held propane torch type tanks, more along the side of the propane tanks used for BBQ gas grills - if so, then the drawing addresses that tank as one of the tanks 'cylinders not filled on-site at point of use' and references how close the tank can be to any building opening ... if the tank is "inside" then there is " 0 inches" clearance to a building opening (the tank is already IN the building).

If the tank is a different type//size, could you describe it better/differently for me so that I might be better able to visualize the type of tank it is?

Thank you.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fuel Gas: Gas appliances (except Fireplaces, see Fireplaces), gas furnaces, fuel oil appliances, combustion air