Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Propane stove insert

Propane stove insert

New postby jostager on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:19 am

Codeman,

I have been looking for a propane stove fireplace insert. I decided on one built by Travis Industries called an Avalon FX. To complicate matters I found one used for a FRACTION of the cost of new. This is at a Habitat for Humanity restore. The unit is at most 5 yrs. old and very clean looking. It doesn't have a blower like the newer ones (which are optional). What should I be cautious of in considering this? How can I look at it and tell? Are these units comparable to cooking stoves in their simplicity? Help! rookie female
jostager

Re: Propane stove insert

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:38 pm

"Are these units comparable to cooking stoves in their simplicity?" Absolutely not!

There are many things which could go wrong with a used gas fireplace insert, not the least of which could be damaged seams and welds which could allow smoke, heat or worst of all - FIRE - outside of the firebox.

One fireplace expert says "Keep the fire in the fireplace." - I fully agree with him.

I am not sure what there is which you could look at and ensure that the used fireplace insert is safe to re-use.

You need to find a fireplace contractor or inspector who is certified in fireplaces, such as one who is certified by F.I.R.E Service (Fireplace Investigation, Research and Education Service).

The cost of hiring that fireplace contractor or inspector to go with you to the Habitat for Humanity Store plus the cost of the used fireplace insert should still be significantly less than the cost of a new fireplace insert of the same type and quality. If not, then a used fireplace insert cannot be purchased "for a FRACTION of the cost of new" fireplace insert of the same type and quality.

You can locate a F.I.R.E. Certified Fireplace Inspector here (place mouse over link, right click to show menu, select 'Open Link In New Window' (or similar option): http://www.f-i-r-e-service.com/mainframe.html , when at that site click on the 'Certified Inspectors' link on the top left.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fireplaces and Chimneys: masonry fireplaces, factory built fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces, gas fireplaces, solid fuel burning stoves & inserts, combustion air, chimneys