Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Kitchen counter top receptacles

Kitchen counter top receptacles

New postby bigdog on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi Jerry,

I inspected a home today where the "investor" remodeled the the kitchen and changed the layout. No permit found.
He added a tall cabinet where originally there were wall and base cabinets. He enclosed the lead (GFCI) receptacle for 1 of the small appliance circuits in the cabinet (through a cut hole of course) and has placed a counter top microwave on a shelf in front of it. The range is gas and he removed the original "over the range microwave" and installed a fancy hood above the range.

So now the receptacle is not readily accessible but the remaining receptacle spacing is ok. I can't find anything in the NEC that would specifically prohibit this.

While its not a big deal can you make a GFCI receptacle "not readily accessible?

David McCabe
bigdog

Re: Kitchen counter top receptacles

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:09 pm

David,

So many things there worse than that, but ...

bigdog wrote:I inspected a home today where the "investor" remodeled the the kitchen and changed the layout. No permit found.

I am sure that you recommended your client check with the AHJ where the house is located to address the no permits issue BEFORE they buy, otherwise THEY will be the owner, and it is "the owner" (current owner) who is responsible for things done without a permit ... while you already knew that, I couldn't let it go unsaid for other readers.

He added a tall cabinet where originally there were wall and base cabinets. He enclosed the lead (GFCI) receptacle for 1 of the small appliance circuits in the cabinet (through a cut hole of course) and has placed a counter top microwave on a shelf in front of it.
So now the receptacle is not readily accessible but the remaining receptacle spacing is ok. I can't find anything in the NEC that would specifically prohibit this.

(underlining and bold are mine)
- 210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit_interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided as required in 210-.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

- Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

It is right there in the code definition of readily accessible - capable of being ... operated ... without requiring ... the removal of obstacles, and what you describe is an "obstacle", thus is not allowed by the code.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks Jerry

I knew it was wrong but was looking at 406 and 210.

I guess that removing the GFCI receptacle from that location and moving it down the line to the second outlet outside of the cabinet would make it compliant not withstanding the lack of permit issue. Thanks again.
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 pm

bigdog wrote:I guess that removing the GFCI receptacle from that location and moving it down the line to the second outlet outside of the cabinet would make it compliant not withstanding the lack of permit issue.

Depends.

That receptacle still needs GFCI protection, and if it is first in the line ... then it may need a GFCI breaker for the entire circuit to protect that receptacle outlet.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.