Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

6 AWG and Phase taping

6 AWG and Phase taping

New postby b2smith on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi -

I'm a homeowner (not an electrician) and a friend and I are putting electric to my shop in the backyard. The rough inspection didn't go too well as I found out that I can't Phase tape #6 AWG wire (it's run 165 feet in a 2 foot trench right now). Needless to say I was upset. Is there any way around this that will meet the requirement without pulling the 165 feet out and rebuying a different color? Trying to comply while still watching costs.

Any input would help!

Thanks!
b2smith

Re: 6 AWG and Phase taping

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 am

I will presume you are talking a about the requirement to for conductors 6 AWG and smaller, which is what you have, to be white or gray in color.
- From the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code): (underlining and bold are mine)
- - 200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.
- - - (A) Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller. An insulated grounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or gray color but have colored tracer threads in the braid identifying the source of manufacture shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section. Insulated grounded conductors shall also be permitted to be identified as follows:
- - - - (1) The grounded conductor of a mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive marking at its terminations.
- - - - (2) A single-conductor, sunlight-resistant, outdoor-rated cable used as a grounded conductor in photovoltaic power systems as permitted by 690.31 shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive white marking at all terminations.
- - - - (3) Fixture wire shall comply with the requirements for grounded conductor identification as specified in 402.8.
- - - - (4) For aerial cable, the identification shall be as above, or by means of a ridge located on the exterior of the cable so as to identify it.
- - - (B) Sizes Larger Than 6 AWG. An insulated grounded conductor larger than 6 AWG shall be identified by one of the following means:
- - - - (1) By a continuous white or gray outer finish.
- - - - (2) By three continuous white stripes along its entire length on other than green insulation.
- - - - (3) At the time of installation, by a distinctive white or gray marking at its terminations. This marking shall encircle the conductor or insulation.

You did not say if you used separate conductors or multi-conductor cable. If you used separate conductors you could run 1 new conductor in the trench with the other conductors (I am presuming the trench is still open, waiting for the inspection), run a white insulated conductor in this case.

However, for a run of 165 feet, what are you going to be running out there? With only 6 AWG conductors you may have a voltage drop problem is using it for anything with a high current draw.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby b2smith on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:19 am

The current set-up is separate conductors 3 #6 AWG THHN and a #10 Ground wire run inside 1" conduit. The wires are pulled through and the trench is still somewhat open (got hit with a rain storm so its a muddy mess...)

I talked with the inspector this morning and he said I need to pull a new green #10 ground and a new #6 neutral (white). I'm running 240v/60 amp out there and with the voltage drop my friend mentioned we have a 40 amp main out there. I have no significant equipment (i.e. no welders etc...). The biggest draw is a part time usage air compressor.

Thanks for the input!
b2smith

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:35 am

b2smith wrote:I talked with the inspector this morning and he said I need to pull a new green #10 ground and a new #6 neutral (white).

The best way is to pull all the wires out, replace the two (a 6 AWG white ad 10 AWG green) then pull them back in again.

Some people try to pull out the individual conductors, but they are likely twisted around each other in the conduit and will not easily pull out, or back in.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby b2smith on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Great tip! Thanks (from a novice)...

Jerry Peck - Codeman wrote:
b2smith wrote:I talked with the inspector this morning and he said I need to pull a new green #10 ground and a new #6 neutral (white).

The best way is to pull all the wires out, replace the two (a 6 AWG white ad 10 AWG green) then pull them back in again.

Some people try to pull out the individual conductors, but they are likely twisted around each other in the conduit and will not easily pull out, or back in.
b2smith

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:41 pm

You are welcome and I hope all goes well for your corrections.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.