Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Room with no operable window/door

Room with no operable window/door

New postby Marc M on Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Jerry,
Does the IRC offer a more in depth definition of a sleeping room? Here is my problem; I have a dwelling that has a room, looks kinda like an office. Second story. There is a fixed window, not an operable one. Seems this room has the potential for entrapment with no escape. Sleeping area or not. Your thoughts.

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required. Basements,
habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have at least one
operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements
contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress
and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room.
Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided
they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118
mm) above the floor
Marc M

Re: Room with no operable window/door

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri May 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Marc,

No, there is no clear definition for "sleeping rooms", but it is commonly considered that any room designed like a bedroom (a sleeping room) for any other use is considered a sleeping room, and that would be a room which has a privacy type door, a closet (although older homes did not have closets, they used furniture called "wardrobes" for that purpose), and (for newer homes) has a smoke detector in it. Quite vague when you consider all the variables which can be thrown-in or thrown-out of that mix.

If it "looks like it could be" a sleeping room, then I would point out that it does not have the required EERO, I used to call them Fry Room 1, Fry Room 2, etc., to get the point across.

However, you are referring to a room with a window which is inoperable, and the room would require an operable window to meet minimum natural ventilation requirements of 4% of the floor area, even if it was not a sleeping room and the window did not need to meet EERO sizes.

Seems this room has the potential for entrapment with no escape. Sleeping area or not.

It is your duty to advise your client that the room has that potential, then they can make their decision based on the additional knowledge you give them. Increasing their knowledge so they can make informed and educated decisions, based on real requirements with explanations as to why those requirements are there, is one of the best things you can do for them.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Egress: Means of Egress (other than stairways, see 'Stairways' below)