Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Occupancy: Baseball: Press Box, Lockers and Concession

Occupancy: Baseball: Press Box, Lockers and Concession

New postby EnE_arch on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello,
We are working on an existing High School Baseball field. The scope of work includes a three story building. Level 1 is concessions roughly 1331 sqft includes covered non-fixed seating @ 614 sqft. The second level will be lockers/coaches office roughly 1144 sqft and grandstand seating. The third level is a press box @ 261 sqft and roof top terrace @ 883 sqft.

My question is this. Can this structure (above) be-apart of the occupancy of baseball field, which is A-5 under IBC or should the new structure have it's on occupancy. Can this be included as an accessory structure? I'm trying avoid sprinkling this structure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EnE_arch

Re: Occupancy: Baseball: Press Box, Lockers and Concession

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:13 am

I am rearranging your question into a different format which is easier for me to answer:
EnE_arch wrote:My question is this. Can this structure (above) be-apart of the occupancy of baseball field, which is A-5 under IBC or should the new structure have it's on occupancy. Can this be included as an accessory structure? I'm trying avoid sprinkling this structure.

We are working on an existing High School Baseball field.
The scope of work includes a three story building.
Level 1 is concessions roughly 1331 sqft includes covered non-fixed seating @ 614 sqft.
The second level will be lockers/coaches office roughly 1144 sqft and grandstand seating.
The third level is a press box @ 261 sqft
and roof top terrace @ 883 sqft.

First, before addressing the occupancy question, let's start with the International Building Code (IBC), Chapter 9 Fire Protection Systems: (underlining is mine)
- Section 903 Automatic Sprinkler Systems
- - 903.2 Where required.
- - - Approved automatic sprinkler system in new building and structures shall be provided in the locations described in Sections 903.1.1 through 903.1.12.
- - - - Exception: Spaces or areas in telecommunications buildings used exclusively for ... (Jerry's note: The exception does not apply, therefore I am not typing the rest of it.)
- - - 903.2.1 Group A.
- - - - An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided through buildings and portions thereof used as Group A occupancies as provided in this section. For Group A-1, A-2, A-3, and A-4 occupancies, the automatic sprinkler system shall be provided through the story where the fire area containing the Group A-1, A-2, A-3 or A-4 occupancy is located, and though all stories from the Group A occupancy to, and including, the levels of exit discharge serving the Group A occupancy. For Group A-5 occupancies, the automatic sprinkler system shall be provided in the spaced indicted in Section 903.2.1.5.
- - - - 903.2.1.5 Group A-5.
- - - - - An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-5 occupancies in the following areas: concession stands, retail areas, press boxes and other accessory use areas in excess of 1,000 square feet (93 m2).

903.2.1.5 states "An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-5 occupancies in the following areas" ... which are "in excess of 1,000 square feet".

Adding your stated accessory areas together:
+1331 square feet of concessions (concessions are specifically included in 903.2.1.5)
+1144 square feet of lockers/coaches office (which fits into "other accessory use areas")
+ 261 square feet of press box (press boxes are specifically included in 903.2.1.5)
+ 883 square feet of roof top terrace (which fits into "other accessory use areas")
= 3619 square feet of accessory area.

If we presume that the concession areas you described are considered as being accessory to the ballpark (Group A-5) as you want, and this is confirmed to be such in 903.2.1.5, then automatic sprinklers are required because the accessory use areas are "in excess of 1,000 square feet".

There may be a way around the above - separate the accessory areas into less than 1,000 sf fire areas ... however, if that is possible (with the layout and vertically stacked areas), and if is found to be acceptable by the AHJ, the cost to create the necessary fire areas may very well exceed the cost to install a sprinkler system.

Additionally, the local Fire Marshall may very well have input into this based on the Fire Codes which have been adopted for the area/city/county/state. Sometimes the Fire Codes and Building Codes are not consistent with each other in their requirements, typically when that happens, the Fire Codes are more restrictive.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby EnE_arch on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Jerry thanks for the response. Do you know if there is a way to remove the sprinkler system. I'm digging for a way out, but it's not looking good. Thanks again, Chris
EnE_arch

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Chris,

The only way I can think of is to separate the accessory uses into less than 1,000 square foot fire areas by installing fire partitions - but from your description and drawing ... I am not sure that is practical.

My first step would be to contact the building official and the fire marshall to ask if separating those areas into less than 1,000 square foot fire areas would be satisfactory - it would then be up to you do determine if it was practical and feasible (I would determine that to the best of my ability prior to meeting with them - if it is not practical or feasible, then I would not even bother to go there).

You may be able to rework the design to allow creating separate fire areas, if so, then find out if that is acceptable.

Maybe check into if everything was noncombustible (structure, chairs, tables, everything) ... then there would not be the same risk of fire (other than from the patrons clothing) ... that may offset the need for sprinklers as the requirement for sprinklers is to help the occupants escape, and if nothing is combustible, then the risk of fire is very limited - just a thought, I haven't looked this up in the codes, just 'thinking out loud' so to speak.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Occupancy Questions