Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Warranties, Concrete Restoration

Warranties, Concrete Restoration

New postby phil327 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:57 am

I have been trying to determine what is a reasonable warranty period for concrete restoration work. I have found a few companies that offer, ( online searches ) five years on concrete patios and side walks. Some even specify garage floors have to have additional thickness to handle the weight of a car.

We have had a significant amount of work done on the walkways and balcony edges. What would be a reasonable warranty period for the work that has been done? I am only referring to the actual concrete work, not the railing or other manufactured products. I would think that this should cover, cracks, spalling and the like.

Secondly - should this be in writing ?
phil327

Re: Warranties, Concrete Restoration

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 pm

phil327 wrote:I have been trying to determine what is a reasonable warranty period for concrete restoration work. I have found a few companies that offer, ( online searches ) five years on concrete patios and side walks.

Depends on the contract and what was first specified, any reductions or substitutions for "value engineering" (i.e., 'engineering the "value" out' of a project). Way too many variables to answer that question.

Secondly - should this be in writing ?

ABSOLUTELY!

If a 'warranty' is not in writing ... then the warranty is 'worth as much as the paper it is written on' ...
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Warranties, Concrete Restoration

New postby phil327 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 am

This is a project that just keeps on giving. The only contract I have seen is a 'standard' A1A form, which is mainly the financial end of the deal. attached to that was the the original 'bid package' which outlined the work to be done, and the costs associated with each process. For example, 200 square feet of 2 inch repairs ( this is not a real number ) It is possible there is additional paperwork that we have not seen.

What I was looking for is a very general guide line as to what to expect to be covered. We had a roof done here a few years back and the warranty was very specific, 10 years from the manufacturer, providing yearly maintenance was done by an approved contractor,

We were told that there is a verbal agreement that for the first year the contractor would come back and make repairs. I realize that there can be many variables, I was just trying to get an idea of what would be a reasonable warranty period. One year, even though it is verbal seems like a very short period of time, I would have thought that something in the range if 3- 5 would be reasonable.
The same company is doing the painting, They poured concrete on the balcony edges 10 days ago, then over the weekend they applied a thin layer of stucco to smooth things out, Yesterday, 3 days after the stucco was applied, they are painting with the final color, no primer used.

anyhow - thank for having this site and thanks for all your information
phil327

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question