Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Parking design and columns

Parking design and columns

New postby wagurto on Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:44 am

Hi guys, i am designing a small parking lot and i wonder if there is any regulation regarding columns encroaching parking stalls. I remember there are certain dimension and location allow to encroach the stalls. Can you help me with this question
thanks
Wil
wagurto

Re: Parking design and columns

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:27 am

I did some searching and arrived at where I started: the only parking space requirements I knew of, and could find, in various codes were limited to Accessible Spaces (refer to ADAAG Manual: https://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm )

Most parking space size requirements I recall having seen were local ordinances in their land use ordinances and/or zoning ordinances (which are often one and the same).

If the columns intrude too far into a parking space for a car, maybe mark those spaces "Motorcycles Only" or "Golf Carts Only", or convert those spaces to another use depending on the project, such as for a residential condo building, install small storage enclosures which can be assigned to certain units or available on a first come first served basis, either all such units available to all owners, or available to owners of units stacked above each storage area to reduce misuse by owners no near the storage areas from 'trashing' those other areas.

The potential other uses would of course be limited if those spaces were needed for parking.

I've been in some parking garages which have precisely the issue you are asking about, and the apparent solution they chose was to let small cars park in those spaces (or larger cars if their owners chose to risk damage to their cars), either way, warning signs of such would be needed to give the building owners the ability to try to say 'We warned you, don't blame us for any damage'.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Parking design and columns

New postby wagurto on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:47 pm

Thank you Jerry, so kind as always.
You may be right regarding, the local regulations for parking. I remember City of Miami allows columns at 2' from the front and rear for the parking stall and 4" encroachment or something like that.
Thank you anyway for the effort.
Will
wagurto

Return to General Questions: When there is no category which applies to the question