Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Sheer/separation wall

Sheer/separation wall

New postby Marc M on Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

R302.2.1 Continuity. The fire-resistance-rated wall or assembly separating townhouses shall be continuous from the foundation to the underside of the roof sheathing, deck or slab. The fire-resistance rating shall extend the full length of the wall or assembly, including wall extensions through and separating attached enclosed accessory structures.

Jerry,
Is there any exception I'm not aware of that says the underside of a town house is not to be separated via separation wall?

Also, you would think sheer would be installed here.
-Marc m
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: Sheer/separation wall

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi Marc,

No shear wall needed there that I can see.

Yes, the fire-resistance rated wall separating the townhouses is required to go to either: a) the underside of the roof sheathing and then roof sheathing either be protected by 5/8 inch gypsum board or the roof sheathing could be fire-retardant treated; or b) the fire-resistance rated wall would need to extend a minimum of 18 inches above the roof sheathing.

There should be NO communication between the attics of the two "separate" townhouses.

Also, I'm not even sure that roof framing is suitable for the two "separate" townhouses as, if the fire-resistance rated wall were there, one structure should be able to burn down without taking the adjacent structure (the structure on the other side of the fire-resistance rated wall) down with it - looks to me as though there is a main beam/girder toward the right of the photo which runs from one townhouse to the other, provided that masonry wall is the wall between the two townhouses.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)