Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

The following Codemen are available to answer your questions:
All Codes and Standards - Jerry Peck, Codeman

Q&A Board links

  • FAQ



  • View New Questions

  • View Unanswered Questions

  • View Active Questions/Answers

  • Mark Questions as read

  • View Your Questions

  • Go To Your User Control Panel

  • Links to:
  • Construction Litigation Consultants

  • Florida Building Commission

  • Florida Building Codes Online

  • International Code Council

  • ICC Codes Free Online

  • Building Officials and Administrators of Florida

  • Product Approvals
  • Florida Product Approval

  • ICC Evaluation Reports Search

  • Miami-Dade NOA Search

  • Inspector and Contractor License Search
  • Search Florida Licenses

  • Technical links
  • Technical Information page

  • Contact Codeman

  • Custom Search

    Code to determine occupancy under IBC

    Code to determine occupancy under IBC

    New postby wrloos on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 pm


    I have been trying to understand if an R-3 classification under International Building Code (the State and City and County of Honolulu accept IBC classification), applies to a condominium, one that consists of 2 buildings and a total of 234 units here in Honolulu.

    I appreciate any guidance, including directing this post to a more appropriate forum.

    Mahalo (thank you),

    Posts: 1
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:28 am

    Re: Code to determine occupancy under IBC

    New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm

    Hi Warren,

    A condominium building is simply an "apartment house" in which the ownership is different. I.e., in an "apartment house" the building (the structure itself) is common owned and each "unit" ("apartment") is rented out to various tenants, whereas in a "condominium building" the building (the structure itself) is common owned and each "unit" ("condominium") is sold to various owners.

    Thus, under the IBC, a condominium building is R-2:
    - R-2 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units or more than two dwelling units where the occupants are primarily permanent in nature, including:
    - - Apartment houses
    - - Boarding houses (not transient)
    - - Convents
    - - Dormitories
    - - Fraternities and sororities
    - - Hotels (nontransient)
    - - Monasteries
    - - Motels (nontransient)
    - - Vacation timeshare properties
    - - Congregate living facilities with 16 or fewer occupants are permitted to comply with the construction requirements for Group R-3.
    Jerry Peck - CodeMan

    Construction and Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants, LLC.
    User avatar
    Jerry Peck - Codeman
    Site Admin
    Posts: 1123
    Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

    Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests