Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Protection of Fireproofed steal columns

Protection of Fireproofed steal columns

New postby mtCDCcb on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 pm

We have a enclosed parking garage for hotel that has all its steel framing members fireproofed. The steel columns seem to be getting hit regularly by cars trying to park and this takes the portions of the fire proofing off the columns. The owner is asking if they can put HDPE column protectors (see links below) around the columns to prevent the fireproofing from being knocked off the columns. I see no reason why this wouldn't be allowed but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks.

http://www.nationwideindustrialsupply.c ... ORT-12-ER/

http://www.nationwideindustrialsupply.c ... rotection/
mtCDCcb

Re: Protection of Fireproofed steal columns

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:29 pm

I would check with the following first:
- The manufacturer of those protectors to see what the flame and smoke rating they have, and if they have issues with their barriers being wrapped around fireproofing coatings. You would not want to introduce a material which would elevate the risk of a fire or contribute to crushing/damaging fireproofing where no one can see that damage.
- The manufacturer of the fireproofing coating to see if they have any issues with such a material being wrapped around their fireproofing - the fireproofing could become crushed and damaged, which may affect the protection of the fireproofing, or the protectors may elevate the heat at the fireproofing, creating issues with the fireproofing.
- Then check with the Fire Marshall, providing the information obtained from the above.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fire-rated assemblies: Fire walls, fire partitions, smoke barriers, ceiling-floor, ceiling-attic; Separation of garages from dwelling unit; Separation between structure's exterior walls and property line