Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Parapet walls

Parapet walls

New postby Jack Wingo on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Is a balcony 4' wall, installed at the juncture of balcony deck and roof, considered a parapet wall?
Thanks Jack
Jack Wingo

Re: Parapet walls

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Could be a parapet wall if configured that way - do you have a photo or a drawing you can post so I can visualize or see what you are describing?

Example of different configurations:

Example a) Deck is recessed into roof structure with wall at back of deck, wall extends up back of deck to roof - this would not be a parapet wall.

Example b) Deck is recessed into roof structure with wall at back of deck, wall extends up back of deck to roof and extends above roof - this would be a parapet wall.

Example c) Deck if flat with roof structure and a wall divides the deck from the roof area - this would be a parapet wall.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Jack,

I drew the attached to show an example of parapet walls at a deck recessed into a roof slope.

The back wall, which is flush with the roof in my drawing, is not a parapet wall - however - if that back wall extended up past the roof deck surface, yes, that could also be a parapet wall.

parapet wall at roof deck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jack Wingo on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Jerry

I know it's a parapet wall, however, in my area I rarely see these walls with proper coping other than stucco. I've had building dept inspectors say the coping is beneath the stucco. So the purpose of my question is basically a sanity check.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Wingo

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Jack,

You are correct - those require a coping and the coping is not below the stucco.

For the coping to be below the stucco on the top of the parapet wall, the coping would need to exit the side of the parapet wall and drain out over the stucco on the sides of the parapet wall ... and there is no stucco accessory made for that purpose ... and no accessory drip edge is visible where one would be.

Want me to send a detail to the AHJ and ask for their detail on it?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jack Wingo on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks Jerry, I'll take care of it
Jack Wingo

Return to Roof coverings: Shingles, tile, slate, built-up roofs, single ply, modified, TPO-EPDM-PVC, metal, etc.