Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

1996 tile roof Fort Myers, Fl.

1996 tile roof Fort Myers, Fl.

New postby artaylor on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:10 pm

My question is , Home built in 1996 , tile roof, will this roof meet the 2001 FBC ? I know it sounds like a self answered question, but if you can be of any help , it would be appreciated.
artaylor

Re: 1996 tile roof Fort Myers, Fl.

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:17 pm

artaylor wrote:Home built in 1996 , tile roof, will this roof meet the 2001 FBC?

Without knowing how the roof structure was installed and how the roof covering was installed, the only answers I can offer are:

1) Maybe. IF the builder and roofer did extra and met what was later required in the 2001 FBC, then yes, but that is not real likely.

2) Probably not. It is unlikely the builder and roofer, back in 1996, did what was needed under the 2001 FBC.

Most builders would even go to the extent of pulling permits early so they could continue to build houses to the older and less restrictive codes, especially if the builder was a major home builder. It was common for the major home builders to pull as many 1,000 or more extra permits to allow them to build under the older codes and not have to meet the new codes. This is because the code in effect at the time of permit application is the code which was in effect for the construction of the house ... unless the permit was allowed to expire for lack of work progress, in which case a new permit would be required - meaning the house needed to be built to the new code.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Roof coverings: Shingles, tile, slate, built-up roofs, single ply, modified, TPO-EPDM-PVC, metal, etc.